Saturday, June 20, 2009

A walk through St. Joseph's College... My Alma Mater


When i decided to start blogging there were several ideas in my mind, but I chose to start from the start.
St Joseph's College (SJC) is the place where it all began.
I went to Green Lawns before that but i was too young to remember anything, but the fact that i was very energetic and fond of the place.

I got into SJC in 1988 and passed out in the year 2000, and in this span of over a decade i learnt so many good and bad things. I made many friends and lived a life that i cherish even today.

I was never into studies and always admired the toppers in my class. Though my report cards tell a different story as i was under immense pressure from my parents to perform. As soon as i grew out of their hands my academic records de-graded. I still remember getting a 93 out of 100 in class 7th and that remains my highest score thus far. The nearest i got was in 10th class when i got a 92 in Computer Science.

I'll not waste a lot of time talking academics and get into business soon. I would try to be as precise as possible and list out the most memorable moments of my life in random order.

1. The first thing that comes to mind is the Inter Institutional Meet 'Vision 2000'. I participated in the 'Skit' and was also named the leader of the crew. We bunked lots of classes in order to practice hard for the same. I still remember the script, it was an anti - pollution campaign. We had a great time and finally won the first prize in the competition. That is the only piece of Gold that i ever earned.

2. The practical examination of Physics and Chemistry in class 11th and 12th also need a mention. I used to get things copied from Rahul Misra (a friend whom i admire as a genius), Kumar Toshik (a friend who i lost to an ugly accident) and many other friends.

3. Few teachers who have left a never ending mark on my life. Mr. Raphael, Mr. Kazmi, Mrs Gandhi, Mr. R.P Srivatstava, Mr. Dimri the list is long. I was very lucky to get so many wonderful teachers. It was a real pleasure to be under their guidance and grow up under such talent.

4. The friends that i made during my stay in SJC. Thanks to Internet, we are in touch with many friends, but i would like to name a few friends whom i dearly miss and would like to meet if possible. I had a huge gang starting from the Ali brothers Rushdi and Lutfi, Jobin Jose, Piyush Bose, Ujjawal Dixit, Kumar Gandharwa, Rahul Misra, Umair Sayeed, Kumar Toshik, Rajarsh Gupta, Amit Agarawal, Prafull Sharma, Vaibhav Kumar, Rishi Kumar, Amit Arora, Dhruv Singh to name only a few. And to my bad luck i have not had a word to some of these for over 10 years now.

I could go on and on writing about my memories of SJC but i would conclude with the biggest event that was a part of each and every year that we were in SJC. The Annual Sports.

The Annual Sport of SJC is conducted at a very large scale and witnessed by several people across the town. It is the biggest event hosted by SJC. I still remember the intense practice sessions leading to the event. The March Past, the various competitions, the cycle races, the pyramids and whole lots of other events marked the day.

The opening ceremony, the sport captain running with the torch, the chief guest opening the meet, the fire crackers, the big torch on the top of the Gymnasium and the awesome fire work at the conclusion were all a treat to watch.

I miss this institution as much as anything in the world and given a chance i would love to visit it all over again. Many of you, who have been a part of this great institution will agree with me when i say that those were the best days of my life and the memories are such that they last forever.

This was just my way of saluting my Alma mater and telling it that how much i love it and miss it.

7 comments:

  1. This is so true Man.. We all lived a different life in our dear old SJC!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dost,

    You made my day with this post !!! It certainly was an incredible experience for all of us and though we may not be in touch now (except virtually !!), the camaraderie & joy that we had shared in those days would live on forever ...Do keep on blogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably the best days of our lives when we did anything and everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you made me cry mate...
    ah..i wish i could live it all again

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yaar dil khush kar ditta.........memories relived once more...............oh!!!GOD ........jst bring those dayz back to me ....even if it is for 1 day ..........

    ReplyDelete
  7. aah that was too emotional felt like it was yesterday but its been around 10 years now ...wish if we had a reunion once again

    ReplyDelete