Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day - really ?

You may call me rude, ignorant, misbehaved or whatever but I have not wished my mother today for the so called mother's day. I did talk to her over the phone, as I usually do, but it was all normal and nothing to do with the fact that the world is celebrating mother's day. I was even questioned by few of my friends, If I have wished my mother today?
 
I simply fail to understand why we  have started paying so much importance to days such as these, have people before this not loved their mothers? Or mothers could not feel the love and respect of their children without them wishing her formally or publicly? I do not need an occasion to appreciate the love of my mother or any of the family member for that matter, for me every day is a special day and every day I live I owe it to my parents.
 
I am not against celebrating any specific day or against the concept of having special days for our family, I am just against the 'follow the herd' policy that we seem to be working on off late. I say this because I have just learned that, after Christmas, Americans spend more money on Mother's Day than on any other holiday in the year. Do we even know from where the concept of mother's day came, do we know why it was celebrated and the reasons for it. Are we doing it just because others are doing it, do we actually need to celebrate days such as these. I know friends who called their mother's bang on the stroke of midnight to wish her a happy mothers day. I mean, like seriously, are you kidding me. Calling up your mother at midnight to wish her mothers day, that is a little too much for me and I must admit I would never do that.
 
Well having said all of that I still believe that it should be ones own decision if one wants to celebrate the day or not and I am not asking anyone of you to change, I was just a bit surprised to see all the social media flooded with all the mothers day stuff and I thought is it really that big an occasion or are we just doing a bit of show off.
 
P.S. I love my mother as much as anyone of you and she is the most important person in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment