Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Future of Hockey in India

India played host for the Hockey world cup just recently, all the matches were held in Delhi, there were so many promotions for the events, the tickets were priced as low as 100 so that majority of people could afford it. But now the Cup is over and so are the advertisements and promotions. So what is going to be the future of Indian Hockey is a question that comes to my mind and to which I don't have an answer to.

The Hockey World cup has been a real success in India, it gained lots of popularity and the stadium was full atleast on the day India was playing. Even other matches attracted audience. Although the Indian team did not perform that well but still all the matches were cheered by the fans. So what is next ? was this a transition phase or just a one time show. I hope this is a transition and hockey gains more popularity after all it is our National game.

Last Sunday I saw few children in my society actually playing hockey and that too with proper hockey sticks. I was really pleased to see this change. I have been in Delhi for 5 years now and I had not once seen anybody playing hockey. So it was a different experience, it also emphasized the fact that all the promotions by our super models through various media has actually had an impact on the younger generation. I hope and pray that this passion stays and does not fade away with time. Lets us hope for the best of our National game. But having said that I also accept the fact that the Indian hockey has a long way to go before it can gain general popularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment