Sunday, March 21, 2010

The IPL Confusion

I like cricket and follow it closely and like every Indian I want India to win every match. Whenever India is playing a match against any country it goes without saying that India gets the support of the Indians and everyone is following their favourite team. But this statement does not hold true for the IPL matches. I find myself very confused as to which team I am supporting. I worship Sachin and love the way he plays so I have to support Mumbai Indians. I also like Dhoni's passion and the way he handles things, his tactics and his ability to stay calm under pressure situations. I then have to support him and hence the Chennai Superkings. I love the way Yuvraj bats, the elegance with which he plays is second to none, I also like Preity Zinta and don't want to see her upset so I have to support Kings XI Punjab. This is what I call the IPL Confusion i.e. you cannot exactly decide which team to follow and support.

I was at the Feroz Shah Kotla stadium for the Delhi vs Chennai game and I found myself divided on which team to support. I was enjoying the atmosphere out there, the enthusiasm of the people around and the blistering knock of Virender Sehwag. It was actually a great experience to see the likes of Sehwag, Raina, Hayden, Muralidharan, Justin Kemp, Stephen Flemming and many more in person. I am a great fan of Harsha Bhogle and it was a pleasure to see him in flesh and blood. But my support was divided.

I guess in the IPL we end up supporting our superstars and our favourite cricketers and not a particular team. Although when I was in the stadium, I was actually forced to follow the Delhi team just by the amount of cheer each positive approach of the Delhi team was being cheered and every shot by the Chennai batsmen was being greeted with pin drop silence. But it was a great experience to be there and witness the best of players perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment