Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Amarnathji Yatra : the experience

I have had several experience in this trip that I had never experienced before. To start with I boarded a flight for the first time in my life and it was a great experience to fly for the first time. I actually felt what I used to imagine when I saw people fly. It was a good experience. Although the journey was almost an hour long but still I enjoyed it. The other experience that was first time for me was we spent a whole night on the glacier, tried to pee on a mountain that was completely covered with ice and also excreted on a glacier. I could still not believe that fact that we actually slept on a glacier with a layer of thermocol and a thin bedding between us and the ice. It was a great experience.

Another thing that needs a special mention is the barefoot walk that we took for around an hour just before entering the holy cave. Barely a few meters before the actual shiv ling we were asked to take off our shoes and walk barefoot. The temperature was close to 0 and there was water flowing down the steps that originated because of the melting of ice on the same hill. The water was freezing and it was running under our bare foot. Within a matter of seconds, we could not feel our leg. I felt some pointed thing on my foot and when I looked down I found a person had his walking stick completely stationed on my foot and my foot was bleeding.

We also witnessed some tension in SriNagar when some people started pelting stones on the vehicles and the car just in front of us lost its glasses. We also witnessed tension in Anantnag and hence we crossed it in very early hours of the morning approx 4 am. I also had the experience of riding a horse in the worst paths that one could imagine. I rode my horse through a very dense layer of ice where the horse's legs went deep inside and we almost fell down. We also rode through passage that were as narrow as about a feet and half and water was flowing through them which made the rocks slippery and it was a very horrifying ride.

We also walked through a 7 km long stretch of ice which was a completely new experience for me. This was the first time I had witnessed so much snow in my life and it was a great experience. But after the Darshan everything seemed so justified and true. Every effort that we made and every hurdle that we crossed seemed justified. The amount of satisfaction that we had once we had the holy darshan was beyond comparison. It was a complete feeling and a very good one. It was a once in a lifetime and a life changing experience. It had everything, it was a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment