Monday, October 8, 2012

Simon Taufel retires

The end of the T20 world cup also marks the end of Simon Taufel as a cricket umpire. Arguably the worlds best cricket umpire, Simon had made this announcement of retirement earlier in the tournament and the world T20 finals was his last outing as a cricket umpire. I have also admired him as an umpire and this is not usual as I generally hate Australians when it comes to cricket. The thing that I liked about him the most was the fact that he started umpiring at an tender age of 27 for ODIs and 29 for Test matches. This shows the fact that he enjoyed his work and that for me is the most important thing. If you do not enjoy the work that you do you are never going to be giving it your best.
 
The most amazing thing as one of my friends commented when I was discussing this topic with her was that Simon had decided to quit umpiring at an age that most international umpires start. This is a very obvious statement and emphasises the fact the the decision is not by force but is a well planned one. I heard his interview and he said he wants to spend time with his family and I (and almost all of us) respect his decision. But as they say you cannot keep a sports person away from his sport, Simon will be working as the Umpire performance and training manager with the ICC.
 
I salute the man for his excellent service over the last decade. The very fact that he has won the ICC Umpire of the year award for 5 successive years from 2004 - 2008 speaks of his dedication and passion towards the game. I know he has given a few decisions against the Indians that may have changed the face of the game but still I have immense respect for him and his all the best for his future and hope that he would excel in whatever he takes up. All the best mate, you will always be missed on the cricket field.

No comments:

Post a Comment