Sunday, October 21, 2012

Student of the year - unbiased review

Is this the Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikander of the modern India ?
Is this the Kuch Kuch Hota Hai of today ?
Is Kajol going to have a guest appearance ?
 
I was not interested in answering any of these questions though I almost knew all of the answers. I was very firm that the magic that was created by KKHH and JJWS cannot be recreated. I was very sure, almost certain that Kajol would be a part of this movie.
 
I was not very motivated or excited about this movie and was not very keen about watching it. But I watched it yesterday night and then decided to write a review. I have been warned that I should write this review without any bias and with an open mind. I will try my best not get carried away and write exactly what I felt and then leave it to you to decide whether you want to watch it.
 
The movie is glamorous, fashion statement, out of the world high school drama and the characters look fresh. But that is pretty much it. The movie does not boost of any story line and is predictable all the way. The cameos of Rishi Kapoor, Boman Irani, Farida Jalal coupled with some really good punches at decent intervals keeps you laughing. Karan Johar maintains that he needs foreign locations, branded fabrics, dress materials, heavily decorated sets and some really tangy roles. Use of things like 'coach coach hota hai', the 'tatas' and the 'batas' and remix old songs like papa kahte hain, dhafli waale and disco deewane lift the movie.
 
But overall I did not like the movie, it was way too casual for me. There was no intensity in the movie almost at any time, the students were trying to step onto each other in order to move ahead. Plus the fact that the High School is never as glamorous. But this may be due to the generation gap which nowadays is being used as a sophisticated replacement for 'old fashioned and outdated'. Why I say this is because just the other day I referred to DDLJ and one of the freshers in my team said gosh how could anyone watch a movie like that, it was a torture. That made me realise that its been over a decade since I was in school. So maybe that is one reason that I did not like the movie.
 
As I mentioned it is going to be a unbiased review, I would give it 2.5 star and that takes into consideration that Kajol did make a guest appearance. If you like to watch fashion on the floor and if you are a brand freak and you like to see some fresh faces dancing it out ,it is the right type of movie for you. But as far as I am concerned Karan could have done better.

No comments:

Post a Comment