Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Orkut versus Facebook

Social Networking sites have been a hit for some time now. Orkut was the one which started it all and now there are several such sites, Facebook being the most famous amongst the other. I have an account on both these social networking sites and I have noticed that I have actually enjoyed Facebook more than Orkut. I don't have any specific reason for it but I guess we were tired of the ages old format and looks of Orkut. I could not see any major change that Orkut underwent since its launch in January 2004, if I recall properly I can only remember the limit of pictures being increased from 12 to 10,000 and few other security related changes where we can select a bunch of friends who can view the pictures and videos that are uploaded.

Due to these factors the fan following of Orkut was on a down slope for some time now. I can easily say that the competition of Orkut grew since Facebook gained popularity. The concept of Live Feeds that Facebook has is one really cool thing and makes you feel connected. Also the lightening speed with which you can upload pictures and videos to facebook is really good. I am in no way criticising Orkut but I believe that they need to change if they want to survive.

I took this matter up as I read that Orkut has actually released a new version where it has tried to catch up with the latest features and provide faster and easier access to friends. It has also provided the 'automatic friend finder' feature and a more interactive Activity Stream that is similar to status message update of Twitter and Facebook. This is a delayed change and should have happened earlier. It would not be easy to drag people back if they have called it quit from Orkut. But as they say Better Late than Never let us just wait and watch how much impact this new version has. In any case we always have the option to chose the one which we find easier and convenient.

1 comment:

  1. Even I started with orkut and gradually drifted to FB. Now that Im a hardcore FB fan, Orkut simply seems like a poor cousin of FB. I feel Orkut really needs to up its style, format and presentation if it wants to sustain its following.

    ReplyDelete