Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Friend in Need

Since our childhood we have been taught 'A Friend In Need Is a Friend Indeed' but as I have grown up and had a insight into the society I disagree with the statement on most occasions. I can bet on my life for few of my friends and I have blind faith on most of them but what I have experienced lately is that the intensity that we used to associate with friends has gradually been reduced. The statement can very well be re-phrased as 'A Friend Only In Need'. I am sorry to say this but this is exactly what I have experienced. People these days are very practical and have no emotional attachment. It is good to be practical but to an extent, when it goes over the line it could be termed as selfishness.

I have a few friends and I know I can count upon them for any and everything. I am a very emotional person and get involved with people very easily. All those close to me, even my colleagues at office would agree to this. I always try to give my best to everything and I always try to do things that I think are correct. I may be wrong sometimes but generally I have seen I have made few very tough but good decisions. In 'about me' type of tags you will find me saying 'I know what I am', I understand my limitations and try to work within them.

I feel really sorry when I see Friendship getting a new definition these days. I think it is high time that we learn the tracts to the society to survive in it. But I feel ashamed when a pious relation like friendship is also made for a purpose and once the purpose is over, so is the friendship. I have been really lucky to have friends who are what they are and they don't pretend to be friends. I can now understand the basis behind 'A known enemy is better than an unknown friend', and also believe in the phrase 'Better an open enemy than a false friend'.

No comments:

Post a Comment