Friday, February 12, 2010

My Name Is Khan : Review

I was waiting for this movie since I heard about it and when it came, I was the first one to watch it. Yes I was there for the First Day First Show of My Name is Khan. It is a movie which has a clear message for the audience, "My name is khan and I am not a terrorist." Kajol is looking awesome and Shahrukh is superb in his acting. On my personal scale I would give it a 4/5 it may be even 4.25 just for the special liking I have for Kajol. But overall a good movie with some really good punches in the middle.

This is a bit different than the other Shahrukh - Kajol movies but it is based on a true love story as always. I also liked the URDU used in the movie. The Sufi music is another attraction, you are sure to like the song 'Sajda'. By the way this movie does not have several songs as we generally associate with a Karan Johar movie. It is a very clean movie and a complete family entertainer and is in no way even related to New York or any other 9/11 movie.

I must say that the acting is superb specially for Shahrukh who plays a man who is suffering from Asperger’s syndrome – a disorder which makes it difficult for people to interact socially and he has done full justice to his role. He has actually made up for the small pitfalls that are in the movie. Kajol is looking very fresh and the chemistry between the two is great as ever. The film combines elements of a love story with a message-oriented theme. At 2hrs 45minutes, it’s a bit long, and certain sequences in the first half are welcome only because they give you opportunities for quick toilet breaks. The love story between Mandira and Rizvan, pre-interval, is likable at places but makes it that much longer for the film to settle into its groove eventually. Once that happens, though, the movie is a compelling watch.

Having written so much I would say that if you are emotional and you can link to the on screen characters, it is a must watch movie for you. Please do not set your expectations to see another movie like DDLJ or KKHH, I mean these guys are old enough to be romancing the trees now. The movie will not disappoint and you will be a bigger fan of Shahrukh once you leave the theatre.

2 comments:

  1. hey Pratyush is that u who wrote this...good job... actually u know what I was thinking to watch this movie today so I thought why not read ur article well thanks... and I believe u.
    -Ankita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read your blog I am impressed. You have not changed a bit and you can write articles as beautiful as this for long now. It is a pleasure to read your writings. You have actually forced me to watch the movie. Great job done. I am not writing my name, I guess you know who I am.

    ReplyDelete