Thursday, February 25, 2010

Festival of Colors : Holi

Holi has been my favourite festival and it was ranked # 1 in my list of festivals that I like and I must say it was way above the rest. There is something about Holi that makes me crazy. I just love playing colors with friends and family members. In Allahabad, we celebrate Holi for two days and play with colors. We also have a ritual of taking out a 'Barat' on the last of Holi. It is specific to Uttar Pradesh where people move together in big groups and visit each others places. This is just a ritual where every house in the society is visited and people offer sweets and 'thandai' to the people in the so called 'Barat'. The best part is that there is one person who is made the bride and he rides on a donkey. So it is real fun and we enjoy being a part of it.

The Barat starts at around 11:00 in the morning and concludes at about 2:00 in the evening. We then have a matka ceremony where we boys form a pyramid and try to break the pot that is hanging from a tree some 15 feet from the ground. It is really amazing how people who are not even known to each other, get together to break that clay pot that hangs in the air. You might have seen this in movies but it is a great feeling to be actually doing it.

After all these activities are over we retire back to our respective houses for lunch and are back in the evening around 4:00 to fly kites. Yes you read it correctly, in Allahabad that there is a tradition of flying kites on Makar Sankranti and Holi. The kite flying is not simple and we actually have challenges and bets to handle. I am a kite lover and love to fly kites so Holi is like a double festival for me.

I am leaving for my home in just about couple of hours to celebrate Holi. This time though we are a bit upset as we lost my Nana Ji last year in April so the festival would not be celebrated like properly but never the less I am excited about going home and spending some quality time with my parents and other friends. So before I leave, I wanted to take this opportunity to wish all of a very colorful Holi. Enjoy you festival and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment