Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Special Offer for a Rented Apartment

One of my friends who lives in a rented apartment in New Delhi got a special offer today. His term of 11 months is ending in February and the agreement needs to be re phrased. As a general policy the landlord would increase the rent agreement by a minimum of 10%. Today when this friend of mine went to pay the rent, he was confronted by the broker who has helped him get this apartment. The broker reminded this person about the expiry of the rent agreement and that it needs to be renewed. He also reminded that the rent would be increased. But the guy did not stop here, he went on and gave a terrific offer to my friend. The broker offered that my friend can avoid the hike of rent, he said that my friend could pay him a sum of money and he would talk to the landlord and renew the agreement on the same rent. The other way of course is the traditional way where the rent gets increased and the agreement gets renewed.

After being offered this proposition, my friend gave me a call and asked for help. I was really shocked at the behaviour of the property broker and I did not have a answer right away but then after a good thought I decided to go the traditional way. Well myself being a lawyer may have guided me but still I would go the correct way. I wanted to share this strange step taken by the property broker, I was really shocked. There has been a substantial change in the attitude of the people and the environment. Let us just hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment