Thursday, July 16, 2009

How I started reading Novels.

Of late I have developed a new habit of reading novels apart from writing Blogs. These days I am more into Blogs and Novels have taken a back seat but they are always on my mind and I always carry one along with me so that I can read them as and when I get time. I have always wondered how can people read novels, what pleasure do they get in reading them. I thought it is the worst hobby and is so boring. So I tried to give it a shot, I decided that I would try to read a novel and see, the basic human tendency to try things. But I didn't just pick up any novel, I applied a bit of sense and went about my job in a clinical manner. I searched the Internet for some novels that I can try. I was looking for the following characteristics:

1. It should be short enough so that I am confident that I can finish it.
2. The Subject shall be pretty simple and must relate to our day to day activities so that I can imagine the things which will help me understand.
3. The next thing was that the story should be such so it can keep me interested and glued to it.
4. I also wanted to start with some Indian writer so I don't have problem understanding the writing styles.
5. The novel should not be very expensive so if I could not read it I don't end up wasting much money.
6. I am also very fussy when it comes to reading old books, I just don't like it. I always feel good when the pages are new and smell good. This might sound idiotic but this is how things are with me.


With these points in mind I found Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat as the best candidate. I started reading it, found it interesting and to my surprise loved it and got attached to it emotionally. I also liked the way Chetan presented things. I was moved and decided to search for other books written by him. After I finished the other books written by him I almost faced the end of road once again. The problem of choosing the novel stood tall, at this point of time my Brother-in-Law helped me and introduced me to two beautiful authors viz. Erich Segal and Paulo Coelho. I started with Love Story by Erich Segal, the emotions and passion made me his fan and I was so attached that I had to read Oliver's Story as well. After this I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and since then the journey has never stopped. I have now read several books by different authors, some famous and others not so famous.

Now I love to read and it has become one of my favourite time pass or should I say I have developed a hobby of Reading. I had never thought that I would be reading novels so passionately. I must say that it is an awesome experience reading books. I have also been through some boring books like 'Stay Hungry Stay Foolish' but the overall experience has been great. So it my advice to all those who want to develop the habbit of reading to first search for the subject that interests them the most and may be follow the steps that I did. I hope more and more people will start reading, it is a good habbit and enhances your personality. Start Reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment